Sunday, March 24, 2013

Just another number, but a big one

I'm not shy about reaching the milestone of 70 years today.  In reflection, I am happy to still be here considering all the crazy decisions I made as a young man. 

The response today from so many friends, associates and relatives is overwhelming and humbling.  My daughter Anne coordinated a "card shower" - you know, one of those things they do to salute centenarians and other old folks.  What a pleasure to read through the seventy-plus cards and notes.  I'll stash those notes because if I ever feel down, they erase any sense of doom.  It was a creative, labor-intensive effort that reflects Anne's spirit.

We always hear older people wondering about "what happened" to get to this age.  I wonder about that too, but I must admit I do not feel 70, nor do I wish to act like it.

If you are short of reading material, check out the book "Younger Next Year."  My wife, Glynn, and I have adopted the basic and traditional theories in that book, with the emphasis that we cannot stop aging, but we can impact decay.  It is a framework of exercise for the body, mind and soul.  Passions of reading and writing provide me with an energy level as much as exercise, while companionship offers a vital foundation of support.

I have been so blessed in my life - blessings perhaps not deserved, but treasured.  If you are reading this, you are among my blessings, far and near and from any time frame.

My good friend Ned Vifquain once told me "coincidences are God's way of staying anonymous."  That was true last night as I was invited to speak at an AA bonfine potluck - the night before I moved into a seventh decade.  I did my best to share my gratitude for my sobriety, because if practiced, it is a perpetual gift that enhances not only our lives, but those around us.

Thank you for adding a touch of happiness to my little corner of the world.  May God bless you and your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment